Sunday, November 18, 2007

August Rush


August Rush couldn't be more of a cheesy fairy tale if it started off with "once upon a time." And it'll leave you feeling just as warm and fuzzy inside as the classics you read as a child. Either that, or reaffirm why you hate holiday films.

Eleven-year-old orphan Evan (Freddie Highmore) knows his parents are out there somewhere because he can "hear" them. He is weird and bullied and determined, like most kids who tell other children they think they could "hear" their parents. Meanwhile, we get the back story on said parents, a pair of star-crossed musicians, a classically trained concert cellist (Keri Russel) and the singer of an Irish bar band (Jonathan Rhys Meyer) who meet under a full, New York moon and spend one wonderful evening together, falling hopelessly, and sort of stupidly, in love. Yes, this is the kind of world where people can fall instantly in love and it will last an eternity… even if that night is the only one they have. Because you know, its a family movie released the night before Thanksgiving, so what else would it be.

Evan makes his way to New York and meets Wizard (Robin Williams), a creeper pedophile who awakens the huge musical talent within the boy, renames him August Rush and looks to him to be his own ticket out of the city. (Okay so he's not a pedophile, but he sure fucking acts like one. He takes care of all these musical prodigous children in this warehouse and pimps them out musically. And then my parents tell me I"m insane when I say this dude is a little too into the children. Jesus. He's the freak of the film, not poor Evan.) And that's as much of the plot as you're going to get from me. Not because I dont care to tell you, but because it's pretty obvious. I think it'd be safe to say Evan eventually reuintes with his parents. But the way they meet up is actually pretty interesting.

This film is just a big cheeseball. Maybe because I'm a 22 year old over analyitical cynic, but come the fuck on. The crowd seemed to love it. I suppose if you can open your heart a little and believe in the good in people. This film can be something rare in today's cynical film scene - it's ridiculously sentimental. And I'm not gonna lie, I cried a little...shut up. It wears its heart on its sleeve and isn't ashamed of doing so. There are total logic problems, and you are required to suspend your belief in reality in order to enjoy this film. Plus some of the dialogue is just horrid. But I guess if you are something like me, who's both a cynic and a person willing to suspend belief at times. It can ultimately be a nice film to enjoy with your kids or your parents.

Plus Keri Russel is in it, who I adore from her Felicity days. So I'll see anything with her.

B-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whatever. i give it an A+. you wouldn't know a good movie if it slapped you in the face. you'd probably go see something like "enchanted" or "lady in the water" and like it.