Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I normally don't like writing about music. It's not something that comes easy to me. I feel like music is just something you feel, like, or dont like...rather than something that needs to be critiqued. But here I go anyway...


OneRepublic just released their debut album “Dreaming Out Loud” last week. My take on the new album: its somber, reflective, and intense. It opens with the “Say (All I Need)” which sets the mood of the whole album perfectly. They sure do know how to tug at the core of your soul when they sing, such passion! I am very much impressed. I have to say, there’s not a single clunker on this CD.


Its not a full-on rock out type of rock record… there are only a few fast-paced songs on here… the rest are mid-tempo to slow but as I said, intense. The album is very song-driven, with very emotive vocals from Ryan Tedder and top-notch but not over-the-top production. I like that the piano and the cello are very prominent on the CD.


I do have one tiny issue about it though… I believe they named the album after one of their songs that didn't make the cut. Whats up with that. The phrase does appear on “Come Home” but I’m pretty sure the title came from “Dreaming Out Loud” the song which is also brilliant. Other than that, the CD is awesome. Sounds similar to The Fray and Snow Patrol, but not really.



Standout Tracks

Stop and Stare
Come Home
All We Are
Won't Stop
Prodigal
Say (All I Need)

A-






Remember when TLC ruled the airwaves? Or the early days of Janet Jackson, back when her music was actually good. Or even when there was still a debate if Christina was more talented than Britney? That's what Jordin's self titled debut CD reminds me of, but in the best way.

Music is seriously lacking a serious young female R&B star. Sure, we have JoJo and Paula Deanda and the like, but cmon, they really aren't talented and come a dime a dozen. Thank God for Jordin, because she fills the void in a big way.

The 17-year-old gets credit, first of all, for staying in her expected lane; there are no puffy pop confections or stilted, sex-starved-songs. That's a good thing, since Jordins vocal ability would've been cheapened otherwise. She has the ability to sing her ass off, as displayed in the anthem "Now You Tell Me," in which samples a Coldplay song, and on the danceable ditty "Freeze" (which she co-wrote). The duet "No Air," featuring label mate Chris Brown, is probably the most R&B friendly track on the CD, and its a great one. The only disappointment comes in the last song of the CD, "God Loves Ugly," which is just a boring song with no melody and stupid lyrics. You arent ugly Jordin, what the fuck? You shouldn't be saying things about God loving you because you are ugly.


Standout Tracks

Next To You
Freeze
No Air
Just For the Record
Now You Tell Me

B+

No comments: