Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Month In Music

I'm a music freak, among other types of freaks. I buy CD's when I can easily download them. I download tracks on a daily basis and am constantly checking out new and old music. I'm a fan of everything, seriously. I listen to literally any kind of music. But I will say that I'm not a big fan of music reviews. Music can't really be reviewed in my opinion, its about what you feel when you hear something, not the technicalities of it. Regardless, I'm doing it anyway. For right now I'll give my reccomendations of music I discovered recently.


Jimmy Eat World
Chase This Light






Doesn't this cover look like a vagina? No?

It's fair to say that everyone I've spoken to who has heard this album or just a few songs agrees this album is solid. Chase This Light is a big record with big songs and actually quite diverse. It has pop flavor radio friendly tunes like Always Be. But we don’t get overdosed on rainbows and butterflies, as the middle of the record exposes a darker tint to the group’s trademark pop sound. “Carry You” is a more restrained acoustically felt song. When Jim belts out, “I could never be the one that you want/ Don’t ask/ So here’s to living in the moment/ Cause it passed” his angst and emotion are palpable in a perfect voice – this small-time pop number becomes so much more than it otherwise might have been.

Gotta Be Somebody’s Blues is a dark song more likely to be found on their previous cds. The song is ultimately less likeable as a result, but is still a fair break from the bubble-gum tone otherwise set by the record.

My favorite track is Dizzy, a guitar anthem ballad if their ever was one, reminiscent of Snow Patrol and U2.

Standout Tracks:
Carry You
Always Be
Dizzy


Grade : B+


Rilo Kiley
Under the Blacklight





Every song on the album is awesome and distinctive. The first single off the album is the sexy and fun The Monkeymaker which is my current favorite. The title track Under The Blacklight is a contemporary song that allows lead singer Jenny to really show off her voice. Dreamworld is dreamy mashed-duet between Lewis and Sennett, the other singer in the band. The last track Give a Little Love is a perfect ending track that gives us a little 80’s love.

Standout Tracks:
Smoke Detector
The Moneymaker
Give a Little Love
Dreamworld

Grade: B+


Alicia Keys' single No One




While I've never been a huge Alicia Keys fan, I always considered her to be a true talent who is known for nothing else other than her work. I appreciated her for being famous because of a true gift of vocals and piano playing. I've never been completely encaptured by any of her music, until No One came out. No One is completely different than her past work..just fucking genious! This single has a heart-pounding beat that encapsulates you in her message. You feel like you are one with Alicia and the music. What a friggen feeling! The way she sings this song is honestly unlike any woman who has ever sang a song before her. She belts this out with true emotion to the point you feel like shes crying as shes singing. If her new album is anything like this song, I cant wait.


Grade: A



Linkin Park's single Shadow of the Day







When you think Linkin Park, you think baggy jeans, black hoodies, crooning, sweeping, rapping, possible suicide. What you dont think is effective and sad Snow Patrol esque stadium anthem. I told my friend Linkin Park sang this song and her response was "Linkin Park? Really?..Linkin Park sings this???" Yes, and thank fucking God, because we were sick of all that unfounded bitterness coming from grown ass men. This song is fantastic to blast loudly when driving somewhere. Its unfortunate their entire CD isn't like this.



Grade: A

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i still think the cover of jimmy eat world's CD looks like a peacock feather.